<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thevintagevalley.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Vintage Valley: The Little Things...

The Vintage Valley

The personal blog of a vintage & goodwill shopper

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Little Things...

I'm guessing the inspiration behind this blog post has something to do with my week so far, im easily amused and find comfort in the weirdest ways so i guess...its the little things!!
hmm where to start,where to start!! well let me just say its been a week of funny train rides (grandmas sharing stories and a guy randomly starting to break dance in the middle of the train), lots of cupcakes (eating and making), Watching Ferris Bueller's day off, Shoes breaking mid walk, Putting runs in my stockings, Deciding that Asian spicy broad beans are amazing, Being the clutz i am and loosing things..then finding them, finding new records and dusting off this mustard beanie from the back of my wardrobe huzzah!! just in time for the first day of rain this week....
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
So i just want to say that i am human and when i go op shopping to fill the shop or receive boxes from my suppliers i am sometimes (definately always) tempted to keep one, or two or three dresses...but i never do!! hardest part of the job id say, but knowing they are going to loving homes is a nice thought..well this dress got the better of me...an original 1950's checker, peter pan collar dress with amazing buttons...(to me..its perfection) i told myself just to try it on and then put..the...dress....down.. but i couldn't bring myself to sell it...so here it is, with me forever now!!!
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
One of the things that really gets me excited when i read the labels on the dresses i sell occasionally there will be a name scribbled on the back of the tag and i think the last one i found was Betty Kemp...ohh it makes my fingers twitch with happiness!!! i once had a lady ask if i was comfortable wearing something that had a history with someone else, and if i ever thought about whether that person was a good or bad soul... (after an internal giggle) i just told her id never ever thought about it in that respect, whether the person was good or bad its not the clothes fault!!! and i believe we change the clothes simply by giving it new life.. just by wearing it again... So i choose to think that this dress was worn by a mid twenties girl just finishing college who had a steady called Mack who always took her out for Milkshakes...Deluded maybe, but its a sweet thought!!

So i have to definately get serious about my day, im meeting my sister for her final wedding dress fitting (i cant believe she is getting married in less than three weeks) and then its hemming, packaging items and then a trip to a few op shops!! (im hoping to spend this rainy weekend cooped up with a good book..sigh i love winter)
XX
(Wearing Vintage checker dress, Target Shoes, Vintage Red Belt, Vintage Mustard Beanie, Vintage Clutch)

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I love it! You look so perfect Ally! Seriously stunning.

I also like to look at vintage pieces and imagine who wore them before me.

And congrats to your sister! If she's as pretty as you it's going to be one gorgeous wedding!

April 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love winter too! Your outfit is gorgeous! I agree with Melissa, perfect and stunning :) I read your post with interest, especially the part about the comment regarding the good or bad soul. I agree, it's not the dresses fault and yes, you do give clothes a new lease on life. But, I do comtemplate the history behind antiques, clothes, war badges and old pictures... as these items do contain a soul, be it good or bad.. It's what makes something more attractive and interesting to us, I guess :) A wedding! And it's your sister's! How nice. I love weddings and you are both going to look absolutely stunning :) xx

April 7, 2011 at 7:35 PM  
Anonymous The Velvet Bow said...

Ohh this is such a divine dress and it looks fab on you, I'm glad you decided to keep it. I know your pain with the opshopping thing, I always want to keep everything and it is so hard to part with pretty items. I try to think of a goal that I want to save for with money from the item's sale and I find that motivates me to keep my hands off the stock, hehe!

x

April 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Lippylash said...

I absolutly love your style!!!
I'm following :)
xx
Lippylash.blogspot.com

April 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM  
Anonymous Alice said...

you look like drew barrymore, lovely

April 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ah sometimes i want to keep the things i sell, and once in a while i do! i get so attached to my clothes, its bad! you are a darling in these photos, i just love love your style... youre like straight out of a 1950s movie


<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

April 8, 2011 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger Cassidy said...

You look stunning! I adore your outfit. I'm so happy I found your blog, you have a wonderful style.

Also, I just released the first issue of my magazine Femme and I would love it if you checked it out! You can read it here: http://issuu.com/bisousmonamour/docs/femmespring11

April 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

you look so pretty! i recognized your photo from chictopia... and i love this dress you're wearing! the touch of red and yellow is perfect for the season! love!

cheers,
misscarlaviolet.blogspot.com

April 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger alexandra grecco said...

you are so lovely! I love the little pops of red in this ensemble.

xxx
Alexandra

April 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

You look absolutely stunning! Love everything about this look...wow! Saw these on Chictopia and had to come visit your site...so glad I did, I am definitely now a new follower ;)
xo Cara
http://www.afashionloveaffair.com/

April 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Stephers said...

You look gorgeous! Take our Ruby Woo red-lip challenge! :)

xoxo
www.rubywoolovesyou.com

April 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Hi ...love berets, just have to learn how to wear them. Sweet outfit too.
Some people are weird about previous owners of clothes but with a little love and care, you have something historical. Preserved. Conserved. Adored.
And well said.

April 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

i really like how you put bright colours against the black and white checks. and you are so pretty!!!!

April 9, 2011 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

your dress is so cute! you kinda look like drew barrymore! specially in that red lipstick!

sacheebombom.blog.com

April 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ally, i don't blame you for wanting to keep this, it suits you so well!

I love thinking about the history of a garment too. And your right, it doesn't matter if the person is good or bad who wore it in the past. Its not the poor clothing's fault hehe!

Absolutely stunning hun xx

April 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Ms. Falcon said...

you look fabulous again. very, very chic....

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

April 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home